Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Aeneid: Part 2


I think that I already enjoy The Aeneid more than I did reading for last week. I really like how descriptive everything is. Now, we can kind of tend to think of descriptive as excessively full of adjectives, but that is not quite what I mean. What I mean is that it is very easy to tell what Virgil is talking about, and it is very easy to picture it.

I feel like Virgil gets a little bit too excited about Aeneas and his friends being from Troy. It reminds me of that whole scene in The Emperor’s New Groove. The poison. The poison for Kuzco. The poison chosen specifically to kill Kuzco, Kuzco’s poison. That poison? Virgil more or less says the same thing. The Trojans. The Trojans from Troy. The Trojans from Troy that were attacked repeatedly by Juno attempting to kill them because they were Trojans, Troy’s Trojans. That Troy?

I do think that it’s interesting, that when talking about funeral pyres, Virgil mentions boys, unwed girls, and sons. Why is it only important that the girls are unwed?

I do not know why, but I find The Aeneid a lot more difficult to write about than everything else we have read so far. I think that might be mainly because of the fact that there are so many more names to try to keep track of, and many of these names are thrown out once in conversation and then they are not mentioned again. It seems like Game of Thrones in the way that there are so many names, it is almost impossible to keep track of them all, because half of them will be in only one scene, and the other half of them will probably die some tragic and terrible death, anyway. It also might be because a lot of my writing has been quite sassy this year, and it is a lot easier to be sassy when talking about Ovid, because Ovid is sassy, whereas Virgil does not seem to be the sassy type. There is not as much to make fun of in The Aeneid.

I do think that it is really cool that Aeneas got to see Dido again; however, it is quite sad that she is not at rest. They seem to have quite a tragic story. Maybe that is Virgil’s thing. Instead of being sassy, he is all about how tragic a story can be.

Also, it is super interesting that Aeneas asked for his mother’s help, and she sent some doves, her name is not even mentioned, and Aeneas is just like, oh, that is so cool; thanks for the help, ma.

Man, everything Bacchus does seems to be entirely full of useless debauchery. I wonder if the word came from Bacchus’s name, too. Anyway, Dionysus never seemed quite as prolific as Bacchus. Ovid did make fun of him a lot, though.

I like that after Aeneas sees his father, Virgil’s writing is dramatic again. It kind of does one of those “it was only just a dream” type of things. I mean, that is not the exact phrasing, but again, that is more or less what Aeneas realizes.

Out of all the furies, and I think I have heard all their names at one point, I wonder why it  is that Alecto is the one that specifically gets asked for help. She is the one that does most of the dirty deeds required of her, and she is the one mentioned the most. I wonder why she is so much more special than her sister. It is not like between the three of them they only have one eye; that is the Fates. So why is she so special?

No comments:

Post a Comment